Recipe: Elephants Cure Soup
There's just something about a good chicken soup that is so comforting. We've been making this version for decades. A restorative mix of homemade chicken stock, tender chicken breast and vegetables infused with ginger, garlic, and lemongrass.
Makes 19 cups. Trust us: you want leftovers!
- 1/3 cup extra-virgin olive oil
- 1 1/2 cups diced medium carrots
- 1 1/2 cups diced yellow onion
- 1 1/2 cups diced fresh celery
- 3 serrano chiles, seeded and minced
- 3/4 cup peeled, julienned fresh ginger
- 1/2 cup minced fresh lemongrass (dried lemongrass will work in a pinch)
- 1/2 cup minced garlic
- 14 cups canned reduced-sodium broth or homemade chicken stock (nothing's better than homemade!)
- 1 tablespoon dried thyme leaves
- Cooked shredded chicken reserved from making broth, approximately 3 cups
- 1/2 bunch cilantro, chopped
- 1/2 bunch Italian (flat-leaf) parsley, chopped
- 3 tablespoons plus 1 teaspoon kosher salt or to taste
Add stock and bring to a boil. Add thyme and simmer until vegetables are tender, about 10 minutes. Add cooked chicken and simmer just until it is heated through. Add cilantro, chopped parsley and salt and serve.
PER CUP: calories: 165 (40% from fat); protein: 12.4 grams; total fat: 7.4 grams; saturated fat: 1.5 grams; cholesterol: 26.7 mg; sodium: 287 mg; carbohydrate: 12.1 grams; dietary fiber: 1.1 grams