Published December 2, 2021
Recipe: Dolci di Noci (Italian Walnut Cookies)
This little Italian cookie recipe is magical! With just three ingredients, you'll be whipping up a batch of crisp-on-the-outside, chewy-on-the-inside walnut cookies. We add these to catering cookie trays for the holidays. They are great with your morning coffee and ideal for gift-giving and cookie swaps, too.
YIELD: 32 cookies
2 1/2 cups walnut pieces
1 cup granulated sugar
1 large egg
LET'S MAKE COOKIES!
- Preheat the oven to 375 degrees with a rack in the upper third of the oven. Line a baking sheet with parchment paper or a silicone baking mat.
- Combine the walnuts and sugar in a food processor and make a fine meal of it--about the texture of sand.
- Transfer the walnut meal to a bowl. Make a well in the middle and add the egg. Use a fork to briefly whisk the egg. Then incorporate until all ingredients are well combined, finishing with your hands. The mix will be wet and a little sticky. Have fun!
- On a flat surface, divide the dough into quarters Then take one piece of dough and shape into a log about six inches long. Cut the bar into 3/4-inch lengths. You should have eight pieces. Spread the cookies onto a baking sheet, leaving about an inch between them. Lay them on their base--NOT a cut side. Repeat with remaining bars to make 32 cookies.
- Bake the cookies on the upper oven rack until they are golden all over, about 15 minutes. Let cool on the pan.
- Store leftover cookies in an airtight container for up to two weeks.