What is a B Corporation?
Elephants Delicatessen has long been a leader in sustainable business practices and is proud to be a certified B Corporation. This certification means that Elephants voluntarily meets a higher standard of transparency, accountability, and performance, using the power of business to solve social and economic problems. We became a B Corp because it officially validates the vision and practices we’ve had since we started in 1979.
See our B Corp scorecard.
Sustainable Policies and Practices:
- As a Green Source consumer, we purchase 100% of our electricity from renewable resources, reducing our reliance on fossil fuels. We also purchase offset credits through the Blue Sky program.
- Our continuing support of the movement towards 100% renewable wind power led to special recognition by PGE for our outstanding leadership in renewable energy use.
- We champion how our region is making a transition to a low-carbon economy via local businesses by signing and supporting the Oregon Climate Declaration.
A Local Commitment
- Our special relationship with Duck Delivery Produce enables us to purchase local and sustainable produce from a Food Alliance Certified Distributor.
- We have a growing list of local, regional, national, and international sustainable and artisan companies that we support and purchase amazing products from – check out our list of purveyors and partners!
- Over 90% of our significant suppliers are located within 200 miles of Portland, keeping money and employment in the Pacific Northwest.
- Over 65% of our significant suppliers are independently owned businesses.
- About 30% of our production and supplies originate in low-income communities.
Managing Waste Responsibly
- A pioneering member of the Portland Composts! program, we prevent over 1000 pounds of food waste and soiled paper from entering our landfills each week.
- As a Metro Recycle Works participant, we recycle cooking oil, fat renderings, ink cartridges, magazines, cardboard, plastic, tin, packing peanuts, bubble wrap, Styrofoam, aluminum, and glass.
- Our fluorescent light bulbs are recycled at Pacific Lighting and we recycle batteries.
- Our paper waste is shredded and baled before being sent to Georgia Pacific to be recycled in the production of new paper product
- We participate in the City of Portland’s No Idling program, which reduces benzene levels in the air by discouraging delivery vehicles from idling while parked.
- Our delivery vehicles run on B20 diesel fuel, which incorporates 20% bio-diesel.
- We provide dedicated and secure bike parking, subsidize bus passes for all employees, and create production schedules that accommodate staff who choose Tri-Met for their commute.
- Our Nissan Leaf, a 100% Electric Zero Emissions Vehicle, and our custom bike trailer help us deliver our sack lunch and catering services.
Recycled and Alternative Materials
- We use recycled/recyclable packaging for our packaging and service ware (utensils, bags, plates, coffee cups, salad containers, napkins, lunch boxes, etc) wherever possible.
- We print menus and in-house materials on recycled copy paper, and only as needed.
- Fliers and other marketing materials are printed locally by companies that use soy-based inks.
- We purchase energy-efficient food service equipment approved by the Energy Trust of Oregon.
- Our ware-washing and janitorial processes include eco-friendly soaps and detergents, and our dish sprayers are low-flow which reduce the volume of water used in this task.
Supporting the Portland community
- We make donations of extra food to organizations such as Urban Gleaners, Lift Urban Portland, REACH Community Development, and Rose Haven.
- Part of our dedication to the Portland community involves giving back, both through volunteerism and donations. Our staff are involved with many local organizations, and Elephants Delicatessen donates to non-profits and community events throughout the year.
- Sustainable Business Oregon’s Innovation Award for Small Businesses 2010.
- Energy Star Award for Small Business, 2009.
- 2009 The City of Portland’s Climate Champion Award. (We were the third Portland-area business to receive this award.)
- The Oregonian’s Oregon’s Top Workplaces, 2015 and 2019.
- Oregon Business magazine‘s “100 Best Green Companies” award, 2011 and 2017.
- B Corporation Best for the World Changemakers Honoree, 2018 and 2019.
- Real Leaders Top 100 Impact Companies, 2019